Low carbon, high performance office and industrial units
In consultation with Corby Borough Council, the developer planned to produce new commercial office and light industrial units that would help meet the area’s need for affordable, sustainable accommodation.
The development had to be environmentally sustainable, with zero carbon status for its heating and with lighting loads 50% lower than the benchmarks relevant at the time. Creative carbon footprint modelling would be essential in order to reduce emissions by 25% and thereby satisfy the stringent planning requirements of North Northamptonshire Joint Planning Unit. In addition, the project had to deliver profitability to its owner and offer low running costs to tenants.
The 42 office units and 17 light industrial units vary in size between 36 & 105 sqm. In order to meet the stringent sustainable brief, the building heating system incorporated numerous innovations.
- Main boilers fed with B100 bio-fuel to ensure low carbon emissions and supply local micro district heating main.
- Solar thermal installation for domestic hot water system.
- High standard of fabric thermal properties through low ‘U’ values and high air tightness – all at least 50% more than maximum allowable.
- Heavyweight thermal mass and passive natural ventilation including night-time cooling, eliminating the need for mechanical comfort cooling.
- EPC level of 16 for the offices and 11 for the industrial units.
- Dual flush cisterns, flow restriction valves and automatic shut off valves to reduce water and energy use.
- Sustainable and responsibly sourced materials to ISO 14001 manufacturing and extraction process, and BRE BES 6001 flagship standard.
The tenants are able to enjoy high performance, low energy accommodation, with an exemplar, low CO2 footprint as well as satisfactory summer space temperatures without mechanical cooling. All office and units achieved a BREEAM Excellent rating.